One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A computer program that checks the spelling of words in a text, typically by comparison with a stored list of words.
- ‘He even spelt some words wrong, and maybe he should've just used the computer spellchecker.’
- ‘The combination of frequency and spellchecker was much more powerful than the spellcheckers alone.’
- ‘Many full-formed adults come over all trembly when parted from the spellchecker on the PC.’
- ‘The market for spellcheckers and monolingual dictionaries would be greatly reduced.’
- ‘The scientists theorize that it can execute 765 different programs - although nothing as complex as, say, a spellchecker.’
- ‘I tried to explain the spellchecker to her, but after a few seconds I realized I was wasting my breath.’
- ‘No matter how good you are with words, a spellchecker is an indispensable tool.’
- ‘My computer spellchecker, however, has other ideas.’
- ‘My spellchecker continues to highlight the word as a spelling mistake.’
- ‘But like I said, in this experiment, I am paying no mind to the spellchecker's naggings, and will push on.’
- ‘Okay, so it appears I made a typo on ‘so’ and my spellchecker helpfully changed the word to ‘sortie,’ but you get the point.’
- ‘A wise editor could have remedied this, and the text is also littered with the sort of errors that come from reliance on electronic spellcheckers.’
- ‘When you run the spellchecker, it checks the spellings of words, says ok this word is wrong, do you want it changed.’
- ‘This grizzly situation is the fault of computer spellcheckers.’
- ‘If you're familiar with the spellchecker in a word processor, you'll get on with this tool instantly.’
- ‘This powerful editor will enable you to edit large files, format your text, convert your text to HTML, and even includes a spellchecker and thesaurus.’
- ‘Maybe you should at least use the spellchecker before tossing it overboard?’
- ‘And, boy, did the spellchecker go mad on these sentences.’
- ‘I don't remember exactly how she responds or if her reply was run through spellchecker.’
- ‘My spellchecker (which has rather a lot of questions about this text) asks if ‘noseless’ should be ‘noiseless ’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.