Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Explain something in detail.‘I'll spell out the problem again’
explain, make clear, make plain, elucidate, clarifyspecify, set out, set forth, state precisely, be specific about, itemize, detail, enumerate, list, unfold, expound, particularize, delineate, catalogue, rehearseView synonyms
- ‘But laser eye surgery has caused controversy because of claims that the risks are not spelt out to consumers.’
- ‘The details of the agreement will be spelled out in a contract.’
- ‘This is the first time many of these steps have been spelled out publicly.’
- ‘He said his plans will be spelled out in more detail in the strategy he will present to the EU later this week.’
- ‘Who needs conspiracy theories when things are spelt out as clearly as this?’
- ‘The ads urged viewers to visit a website set up especially for the campaign, where the message was spelt out even further.’
- ‘It is important that certain facts are spelt out to the public.’
- ‘The research questions are spelled out in a very specific way.’
- ‘One area where costs are spelled out in detail is that of executive salary packages.’
- ‘Everyone knew rumours were going around and the company had promised to be honest with us, but the true situation wasn't spelt out in time.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.