One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Explain something in detail.‘I'll spell out the problem again’
explain, make clear, make plain, elucidate, clarifyView synonyms
- ‘The research questions are spelled out in a very specific way.’
- ‘The details of the agreement will be spelled out in a contract.’
- ‘It is important that certain facts are spelt out to the public.’
- ‘This is the first time many of these steps have been spelled out publicly.’
- ‘Everyone knew rumours were going around and the company had promised to be honest with us, but the true situation wasn't spelt out in time.’
- ‘He said his plans will be spelled out in more detail in the strategy he will present to the EU later this week.’
- ‘But laser eye surgery has caused controversy because of claims that the risks are not spelt out to consumers.’
- ‘The ads urged viewers to visit a website set up especially for the campaign, where the message was spelt out even further.’
- ‘Who needs conspiracy theories when things are spelt out as clearly as this?’
- ‘One area where costs are spelled out in detail is that of executive salary packages.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.