One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Explain something in detail.‘I'll spell out the problem again’
explain, make clear, make plain, elucidate, clarifyView synonyms
- ‘The details of the agreement will be spelled out in a contract.’
- ‘He said his plans will be spelled out in more detail in the strategy he will present to the EU later this week.’
- ‘Everyone knew rumours were going around and the company had promised to be honest with us, but the true situation wasn't spelt out in time.’
- ‘But laser eye surgery has caused controversy because of claims that the risks are not spelt out to consumers.’
- ‘This is the first time many of these steps have been spelled out publicly.’
- ‘It is important that certain facts are spelt out to the public.’
- ‘The research questions are spelled out in a very specific way.’
- ‘One area where costs are spelled out in detail is that of executive salary packages.’
- ‘The ads urged viewers to visit a website set up especially for the campaign, where the message was spelt out even further.’
- ‘Who needs conspiracy theories when things are spelt out as clearly as this?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.