Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Done or occurring quickly.‘a speedy recovery’
rapid, swift, quick, fast, prompt, immediate, expeditious, express, brisk, sharp, unhesitatingView synonyms
- ‘She is wished a speedy recovery and a quick return to the weekly card game.’
- ‘We wish him a quick and speedy recovery and hope that he will soon be out and walking his dogs.’
- ‘We would like to pass on our best wishes to the other families involved in this tragedy, and hope that a speedy recovery ensues.’
- ‘As she and her family are moving abroad, the house has been priced for a speedy sale in the current property climate.’
- ‘Three locals are presently in hospital and we wish them speedy recoveries.’
- ‘All we can do is wish him well and a speedy recovery to full fitness.’
- ‘We join many fans around the world in wishing Roy a speedy recovery.’
- ‘All of Breda's family and friends wish her a speedy recovery to full health.’
- ‘All his family and many friends hope to see Denny up and about again really soon and wish him a quick and speedy recovery to full health.’
- ‘He had always been a fast healer, but even he was surprised at his speedy recovery.’
- ‘She wished the people who were absent due to illness a speedy recovery.’
- ‘Best wishes, Tony, from all your friends for a full and speedy recovery.’
- ‘Good wishes for a speedy recovery to full health were expressed by all present at the meeting.’
- ‘The committee would like to send best wishes to all the residents who are unwell or in hospital and wish them a speedy recovery.’
- ‘I am sure this country, where she was born and grew up to serve well, will keep a prayerful vigil for her speedy recovery.’
- ‘The key to a speedy recovery is to quickly get some carbs into your system.’
- ‘All his of colleagues in the club and his many friends in the wider community wish him a speedy recovery from his illness.’
- ‘Paddy is missed by his many neighbours and friends and we all wish him a very speedy recovery and say hurry up and come home.’
- ‘We are all thinking about you Anne and praying for a speedy recovery.’
- ‘The management and players would like to wish Gary a speedy recovery.’
2Moving quickly.‘a speedy winger’fast, fast-moving, high-speedView synonyms
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.