One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British A form of motorcycle racing in which the riders race several laps around an oval dirt track, typically in a stadium.
- ‘When I used to race for Southampton in speedway my number was always seven.’
- ‘For us, speedway may be the sport of hard nuts, but for the ice-racers of Sweden, Finland and Russia it is the sport of chickens.’
- ‘Inside Out also follows the Workington Comets, a second division speedway team that has one of the highest followings in speedway despite not even being top of their league.’
- ‘Did you know that Burnley and Whalley were once hotbeds of speedway?’
- ‘York-born speedster Andy Smith has again qualified for the ultimate competition in speedway - and has again justified his Houdini tag.’
- ‘I shall miss taking my son to speedway at Odsal, something I myself did from the age of 11.’
- 1.1count noun A stadium or track used for speedway racing.
- ‘Earlier this year, residents in Kearsley protested over off-road bikers using towpaths as a speedway.’
2North American A road or track used for motor-car racing.
- ‘It has seating for about 45,000 fans, and it has one thing that sets it apart from other speedways.’
- ‘The city itself is home to one of NASCAR's classic speedways that plays host to one of its most famous races, the Coke 600.’
- ‘Grenville wowed the crowds at many speedways nationwide, including his home stomping ground, the Lismore Speedway.’
- ‘He built a high-performance motor speedway, but the Formula One event he lobbied for never arrived.’
- ‘And often they are selling to end users who are merely tying into a racing theme while not actually having anything to do with a race, speedway or driver.’
- ‘A service station worker in Georgia, he began racing against local bootleggers across fields, on ragged dirt tracks, and on asphalt speedways.’
- ‘Exciting racing was the rule, not the exception, last year and that trend should continue to grow in 2001 with the addition of six new speedways.’
- ‘Open year-round is Daytona USA, an interactive motorsports attraction and museum next to the speedway.’
- ‘There are various types of venues: super speedways, long and short ovals, road courses.’
- ‘But forget NASCAR for a minute and think about your local speedway.’
- ‘Several drivers in the American Speed Association ranks earned their stripes racing on short-track speedways in Wisconsin, as well.’
- ‘The speedway added an additional twenty thousand seats last summer and it is still standing room only.’
- ‘His father died, of course, in that famous crash on the last turn at that speedway February 18 of 2001.’
- ‘His father, Lynn, is a dirt-track legend in the Steel City with more than 200 feature victories and track titles at four different local speedways.’
- ‘I think all three big speedways are completely different even though they're big speedways.’
- ‘She also sponsors a racecar at the local speedway.’
- ‘I had intended to go out to the speedway merely to observe.’
- ‘The speedway will also be hosting a visit by the $250,000 racing monster truck, Outback Thunda.’
- ‘I have a lot of confidence in my team at the speedways and would like nothing more than to get Toyota's first win at Charlotte.’
- ‘The TRAC - and by extension the lesser-used speedways - will also benefit from jealous television networks.’
- 2.1 A highway for fast motor traffic.
- ‘So as you would expect, nobody obeys this law, like nobody goes 65 MPH on our six lane interstate speedways.’
- ‘After a few phone calls in Spanish (I did not understand a word), we finally made it to the right speedway, called a freeway in LA, with great help from our small map.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.