One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1informal A mixture of cocaine with heroin.
- ‘More recently Oscar winner and heroin enthusiast Bobby Driscoll was found dead in a New York tenement and River Phoenix collapsed after his last speedball outside a club in Los Angeles.’
- ‘A small number of subjects reported speedball (heroin combined with cocaine) as their primary drug, though there were too few subjects to analyze reliably.’
- ‘Sniffing cocaine was most frequently reported, followed by injecting speedballs, injecting cocaine alone, and sniffing speedballs.’
- ‘They would have floored a lesser person not fuelled on vengeance, adrenaline and speedballs.’
- ‘First, I was spending time with people shooting speedballs - a mix of cocaine and heroin and they prepared their solution by melting it in spoons over their butane lighters.’
- ‘Study participants were asked separate questions about their use of crack cocaine, powder cocaine, heroin, speedball, methadone, other opiates, amphetamine, marijuana, and a catch-all ‘other drugs’ category.’
- ‘Just yesterday I phoned a new vendor we're dealing with, and was initially pleased to hear he didn't seem to have shot up a speedball before midday for once.’
- ‘Drug use frequency is measured as no use, marijuana use (so-called ‘light’ drug), and crack, cocaine, heroin, speedball and/or methamphetamines.’
- ‘The illegal drugs most commonly used in our sample were cocaine, heroin, and speedball, a mixture of heroin and cocaine.’
- ‘Crack cocaine and alcohol were the most widely used substances, followed by heroin and speedball (a mix of heroin and cocaine).’
- ‘Individuals who consumed more crack, cocaine, heroin, speedball, and/or methamphetamines were more likely to support the legalization of marijuana, cocaine, and heroin.’
- ‘Brown and Weissman found that women injection drug users were more likely than men to report daily injection of heroin and speedball (heroin and cocaine).’
- ‘The most common drug of choice was heroin, with a much smaller number reporting cocaine and speedball.’
- ‘For heroin, this included snorting, injecting, smoking, and the use of speedballs (heroin and cocaine combined).’
- ‘For example, a speedball (a mixture of cocaine and heroin) increases the risks from each drug involved, making it far more likely for the user to experience harmful side effects.’
2A small punchball used by boxers for practising quick punches.
- ‘An old Scottish guy, possibly four times my age, keeps an eye on the boys training on speedballs.’
- ‘We have a brand new ring, punch bags, speedball - all top-notch equipment.’
- ‘We also did some cardiovascular work in the gym primarily with speedballs a boxer might use.’
- ‘Rudolph is all about footwork and movement, a lot of moving around in the circle swiping at the air like a mental patient, a lot of slapping at speedballs and shadowboxing into mirrors.’
- ‘None of them had ever punched a speedball before, but they've taken to it like ducks to water.’
3US mass noun A ball game resembling soccer but in which the ball may be handled.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.