Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of ice skating in which competitors race against each other, typically around an oval track.‘she's a national hero in the Netherlands, where speed skating is the most highly regarded sport of all’
- ‘I love all the events: luge, speed skating, slalom, even curling!’
- ‘With that, the Knights started speed skating around the rink.’
- ‘We have soccer and speed skating and cycling; they are more popular sports than swimming.’
- ‘IceSheffield is the national centre for figure and dance skating and the regional centre for ice hockey and speed skating.’
- ‘A prospective study would also be useful in assessing the intrinsic and extrinsic risk factors at play in short track speed skating.’
- ‘There are about 100 kids who do ice-hockey, the same number do ice-dance and about 50 others do speed skating.’
- ‘Campaigners will be attending the exhibition and stressing the need for a permanent, full-size skating facility, with provision for recreational skating, figure skating, speed skating and ice hockey.’
- ‘But as interest grows, South Woodham Ferrers could find itself at the heart of British speed skating because of plans to build a state of the art racing track in the town.’
- ‘But Major Ingram, the oldest contestant in the show at 40, is still in with a chance of being runner-up to him with the weight-lifting and speed skating still to come.’
- ‘Johnothan nodded ‘I was hoping to get some speed skating in this morning if your sister lets me.’’
- ‘It was there that speed skating became a major competitive sport.’
- ‘Ice hockey, downhill skiing, ski jumping and even the speed skating make for compulsive viewing.’
- ‘Beckie Scott's bronze medal in cross-country skiing and Clara Hughes's bronze medal in long-track speed skating are unbelievable tales in themselves.’
- ‘Short track speed skating is a sport that has enjoyed recent notoriety as one of the more exciting and controversial events of the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics.’
- ‘The others include weightlifting, diving and speed skating.’
- ‘Jeremy Witherspoon, a favorite in speed skating in the 500m and 1000m fell in both events, placing 13th.’
- ‘Short track speed skating is the most unpredictable of all the Winter Olympic sports where falls come fast and furious.’
- ‘Another source of national pride that sets aside regional and religious differences is sports, especially soccer and speed skating.’
- ‘Quad skates are more maneuverable for roller disco and artistic skating, but in-line skates are more suitable for fitness and speed skating.’
- ‘There are two popular versions, speed skating and artistic skating.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.