One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organized social activity in which people seeking romantic relationships have a series of short conversations with potential partners in order to determine whether there is mutual interest.
- ‘Passionate Parisians have come up with a savoury and sensual answer to the impersonal world of internet and speed dating.’
- ‘With speed dating, personalities could still clash, but that physical element is there from the start.’
- ‘On one end there is pure arranged marriage and on the other is speed dating.’
- ‘Lossen told me that she thinks the best benefit to speed dating is gaining conversation starting skills.’
- ‘The exception is hot niche markets like speed dating.’
- ‘With speed dating, you get to meet a bunch of people, for a short period of time and see if there is any chemistry.’
- ‘Aren't they doing speed dating at colleges these days?’
- ‘Although each date lasts a mere three minutes, what makes speed dating different is that the participants have the same objective - to meet a potential companion.’
- ‘While it may be called speed dating this does not mean you need to fire questions rapidly across the table.’
- ‘You may have heard of speed dating catching on south of the border.’
- ‘Brenda had also organised some speed dating where participants got to chat to as many people as possible over a short period of time.’
- ‘All fine, but to spike your odds of finding love, try going the direct route via online personals, speed dating, or outdoor adventure classes for singles.’
- ‘Meetings will last only 20 minutes: as with speed dating, the object is merely to see whether there is any chemistry.’
- ‘She says speed dating is based on the concept that people are either attracted to each other straight away or not, in other words, gut instinct.’
- ‘The idea behind speed dating is that each man is paired up with a woman for four minutes before being moved on to the next one.’
- ‘Tickets are $60, which includes a light lunch, speed dating, a two-course dinner and dancing in the evening.’
- ‘A study of speed dating showed that if we have to choose between 10 potential dates, we do so on the basis of our expressed values.’
- ‘Normally they would to rely on their family to introduce them to someone, but in the case of speed dating they are taking the situation into their own hands.’
- ‘He hopes to hold events designed to appeal to over-25s such as singles nights, speed dating, salsa evenings, comedy nights and music.’
- ‘Bex is intelligent and quick-witted but sometimes a little lost in the modern world of speed dating and go-getting career women.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.