One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A roadside camera triggered by speeding vehicles, taking either video footage or a photograph of the vehicle with a record of its speed.
- ‘Suddenly he saw a speed camera at the side of the road, checked his speedometer and slammed his foot on the brake.’
- ‘A speed camera will only penalise drivers taking a chance to overtake a slow-moving vehicle if, during overtaking, they accidentally exceed the limit while passing as quickly and efficiently as possible.’
- ‘Now Natalie's parents say they are hopeful surveys currently being carried out by road safety officials on the road will prove it meets the criteria for the installation of a speed camera on the 30 mph road.’
- ‘The usual speed limits apply, but I did not see one speed camera in all of the miles I covered.’
- ‘A few days before the tragedy the Nissan was caught on a speed camera in Princess Parkway, near the Mersey Bank estate at Chorlton, heading towards the M56.’
- ‘It behaves like a driver who only slows down when there's a speed camera in sight.’
- ‘The possibility of a speed camera was also discussed by the parish council, but members felt it could be difficult to get such a device up and running.’
- ‘A new speed camera which had gone into service on the A6 near Clophill has been destroyed by fire, and arson is suspected.’
- ‘Marked and unmarked police cars, a speed camera and police motorcyclists will combine to enforce the new restrictions.’
- ‘Statistically, uninsured drivers are a far more serious threat to road safety than those otherwise law-abiding motorists that are caught fractionally above the limit by a speed camera.’
- ‘A new speed camera was cut down by a driver with a chainsaw before it had even been switched on.’
- ‘In the past few months, a speed camera has been erected at the corner and the intersection has been altered.’
- ‘If you know there is a speed camera in a particular place, you will slow down.’
- ‘‘With the privatisation of speed cameras more motorists will be caught,’ said the source.’
- ‘Worse still, some may have been banned and lost their livelihood, all because of a ‘mistake’ about the siting of a speed camera.’
- ‘The days of the sneaky speed camera are over in Greater Manchester - today the location of every single camera in the area is revealed.’
- ‘Be careful when he abruptly becomes as obedient as a schoolboy in following the speed limit, by suddenly applying his brake upon sight of a speed camera.’
- ‘A decision will then be made as to whether the road fulfils the criteria for a speed camera.’
- ‘The council will not be satisfied until every road is either a 20 mph limit, has a speed hump or a speed camera, or all three!’
- ‘One of the most obvious examples of this is that much-maligned, but increasingly common piece of street furniture, the speed camera.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.