[mass noun] The process of enabling a computer to identify and respond to the sounds produced in human speech.
- ‘Another concurrent research stream deals with the area of speech recognition.’
- ‘Certain car companies are currently developing navigation systems based on speech recognition using satellites and map databases.’
- ‘Progress has been made in speech recognition and automatic translation engines, and a convergence with search engines is just beginning to be discernible.’
- ‘The use of computerized speech recognition in medicine was first described in radiology in 1981.’
- ‘Currently, speech recognition takes place at the software level, and its precision varies enormously, depending on what you want the system to do.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.