One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An annual celebration held at some schools, especially public schools, at which speeches are made and prizes are presented.
- ‘During speech day at Queen Margaret's School, Escrick, headmaster Geoffrey Chapman spoke about his ‘battle’ with teenage language.’
- ‘High-flying students from Year 10 and above were awarded prizes and awards for their effort and achievements at the school's annual speech day yesterday.’
- ‘At the school's speech day, the headmaster said the fundraising target to pay for the development had almost been reached.’
- ‘Rosie Rushton visited Bronte School's speech day at Cobham Hall, Cobham, on September 19.’
- ‘Asked what she was doing at the time, she said that she was at the children's school's speech day.’
- ‘South Craven School had a new head teacher, John Vickers, who turned up at the school speech day to run the rule over his new charge.’
- ‘As well as helping with presentations and speech days David also took time out to lift the spirits of children who were suffering from severe illnesses.’
- ‘I felt less cool when I turned up on it at my school speech day.’
- ‘Mrs Logan was the main guest at the school's annual speech day on Monday.’
- ‘Distinguished old boy EA Carr, the Commissioner of Lagos Colony in Nigeria, returned to Ermysted's Grammar School for the annual speech day.’
- ‘But at the school's speech day in December chairman of the governors John Goodfellow called for a new site for the school.’
- ‘They had no space big enough to accommodate speech day, he was told.’
- ‘I'm looking forward to meeting your parents at the speech day next week.’
- ‘On one speech day we calculated that a full 25% of the motors had been hired by mums and dads who obviously felt their own wheels were too downmarket.’
- ‘A hope that Guiseley School would eventually get a sixth form was again expressed by the headmaster at the annual speech day.’
- ‘And, to ensure equitable treatment of both pupils and staff, teachers should surely be banned from wearing hoods on their academic gowns on speech day.’
- ‘For many pupils, the school's annual speech day is a chore they would do anything to miss.’
- ‘New prefects were appointed at Queen Margaret's School, Escrick, during the annual school speech day.’
- ‘It was a speech day at Bolton School that set Joyce on her career path.’
- ‘Mrs Markham continued to attend Old Colcestrian's day and speech day at the school after her husband's death in 1993.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.