One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An annual celebration held at some schools, especially public schools, at which speeches are made and prizes are presented.
- ‘It was a speech day at Bolton School that set Joyce on her career path.’
- ‘I felt less cool when I turned up on it at my school speech day.’
- ‘New prefects were appointed at Queen Margaret's School, Escrick, during the annual school speech day.’
- ‘On one speech day we calculated that a full 25% of the motors had been hired by mums and dads who obviously felt their own wheels were too downmarket.’
- ‘Distinguished old boy EA Carr, the Commissioner of Lagos Colony in Nigeria, returned to Ermysted's Grammar School for the annual speech day.’
- ‘I'm looking forward to meeting your parents at the speech day next week.’
- ‘Mrs Markham continued to attend Old Colcestrian's day and speech day at the school after her husband's death in 1993.’
- ‘Rosie Rushton visited Bronte School's speech day at Cobham Hall, Cobham, on September 19.’
- ‘During speech day at Queen Margaret's School, Escrick, headmaster Geoffrey Chapman spoke about his ‘battle’ with teenage language.’
- ‘And, to ensure equitable treatment of both pupils and staff, teachers should surely be banned from wearing hoods on their academic gowns on speech day.’
- ‘At the school's speech day, the headmaster said the fundraising target to pay for the development had almost been reached.’
- ‘But at the school's speech day in December chairman of the governors John Goodfellow called for a new site for the school.’
- ‘As well as helping with presentations and speech days David also took time out to lift the spirits of children who were suffering from severe illnesses.’
- ‘For many pupils, the school's annual speech day is a chore they would do anything to miss.’
- ‘South Craven School had a new head teacher, John Vickers, who turned up at the school speech day to run the rule over his new charge.’
- ‘High-flying students from Year 10 and above were awarded prizes and awards for their effort and achievements at the school's annual speech day yesterday.’
- ‘They had no space big enough to accommodate speech day, he was told.’
- ‘A hope that Guiseley School would eventually get a sixth form was again expressed by the headmaster at the annual speech day.’
- ‘Mrs Logan was the main guest at the school's annual speech day on Monday.’
- ‘Asked what she was doing at the time, she said that she was at the children's school's speech day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.