One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of people sharing a common language or dialect.
- ‘In this approach, the linguistic behavior of a speech community is based on frequency-counts of standard and non-standard variables across stylistic and social stratification.’
- ‘Chapter five offers explanations that aim at resolving the unusual finding of gender, class and education patterns in the Cairene speech community.’
- ‘These variants point to a performer working out names according to phonemic norms in his or her speech community.’
- ‘Copying can be exact: members of a speech community can share identical phonological representations.’
- ‘A speech community is not necessarily coextensive with a language community.’
- ‘It's not a folk etymology, because this is the usage of one person rather than an entire speech community.’
- ‘On this base, rap discourse explores various resources provided by the linguistic repertoire of the speech community.’
- ‘Research on language acquisition tells us that all normal children acquire the language of their speech community effortlessly and flawlessly.’
- ‘As with other speech acts, apologies can serve as illuminating sources of information on the sociocultural values of a speech community, including possible differences between female and male values.’
- ‘These are not numbers of speakers of the minority languages, however, as the Catalan, Gallego, and Basque provinces all hold diverse populations and speech communities.’
- ‘These are of course not representative of the speech community as a whole.’
- ‘Whatever the outcome, linguists' best protection against such problems is to be solidly based in the speech communities in question, which is a good idea in any event.’
- ‘He also importantly adds that to participate in a speech community is not quite the same as being a member of it.’
- ‘We can all be categorised into a speech community by way of language, professional idiolect, local or acquired dialect, accent or habitual usage.’
- ‘In fact, any honest observer who has worked on even the most extensively documented speech communities will recognize the sort of thing that they are writing about.’
- ‘Every once in a while, such mistakes do get picked up by enough members of some speech community to reach the status of a genuine variant.’
- ‘Today, nearly all English speakers drop g's sometimes, but in a given speech community, the proportion varies systematically depending on formality, social class, sex, and other variables as well.’
- ‘The concept of a discourse community borrows from that of a speech community.’
- ‘If a reanalysis takes hold, it must usually be because it spontaneously happens over and over, not because one infant's idea spreads to the speech community as a whole.’
- ‘Egypt is part of the Arabic speech community of about 250 million people, spread from Morocco to Oman.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.