A device for analysing a system of oscillations, especially sound, into its separate components.
- ‘One of the world's largest test and measurement companies donated the spectrum analyser to the observatory.’
- ‘Put a bell through a spectrum analyser and most times out of ten, the thing will flip out.’
- ‘The light detected by the receiver is transmitted through an optical fibre to a computerised spectrum analyser.’
- ‘They used special compressed-air blowing apparatus to ensure a consistent blowing pressure, and analysed the sound produced from each flute using an oscilloscope with a built-in spectrum analyser.’
- ‘But then Norman found out his equipment was only processing 20 per cent of the information it received and needed a spectrum analyser.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.