Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for analysing a system of oscillations, especially sound, into its separate components.
- ‘One of the world's largest test and measurement companies donated the spectrum analyser to the observatory.’
- ‘But then Norman found out his equipment was only processing 20 per cent of the information it received and needed a spectrum analyser.’
- ‘Put a bell through a spectrum analyser and most times out of ten, the thing will flip out.’
- ‘The light detected by the receiver is transmitted through an optical fibre to a computerised spectrum analyser.’
- ‘They used special compressed-air blowing apparatus to ensure a consistent blowing pressure, and analysed the sound produced from each flute using an oscilloscope with a built-in spectrum analyser.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.