One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of science concerned with the investigation and measurement of spectra produced when matter interacts with or emits electromagnetic radiation.
- ‘He was the author of more than 200 articles on chemical kinetic gas-phase reactions, molecular spectroscopy, and thermo-chemistry of organic compounds.’
- ‘The mineral content of wine can be measured in fractional parts per billion by modern methods of analysis such as atomic absorption spectroscopy and mass spectrometry.’
- ‘Biochemical investigations and magnetic resonance spectroscopy are particularly useful in metabolic and mitochondrial disorders.’
- ‘By that time atomism had been extended from chemistry and the kinetic theory to offer explanations in stereochemistry, electro-chemistry, spectroscopy and so on.’
- ‘The lead concentrations remaining in solution were measured by atomic absorption spectroscopy, after a 48-hour period.’
- ‘To measure the efficacy of sunscreens, researchers used electron spin resonance spectroscopy to measure free radical production induced by UVA in the skin of white people.’
- ‘The antioxidant capacity of plasma was measured with electron spin resonance spectroscopy while homocysteine and fasting plasma lipids were also determined.’
- ‘The sample solutions were analysed by inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectroscopy.’
- ‘Because this is likely to be a large effort, new technologies such as mass spectroscopy, genomics, and novel protein purification strategies should be employed in this effort.’
- ‘This is called electron spin resonance spectroscopy.’
- ‘Current analysis methods entail clipping, near-infrared spectroscopy, and chemical procedures that, while accurate and site-specific, are laborious and take days to complete.’
- ‘All ignitable liquids were confirmed by gas chromatography and mass spectroscopy, according to the report.’
- ‘Magnetic resonance spectroscopy measures the amount of certain metabolites in the body.’
- ‘The vitamins were assayed by high-performance liquid chromatography and the trace elements by atomic-absorption spectroscopy.’
- ‘One method they use, fluorescence spectroscopy, involves recording optical spectra from molecules absorbing and emitting light.’
- ‘In comparison to gas chromatography and mass spectroscopy, the use of an electronic nose for detection of lung cancer offers several potential advantages, including ease of administration of the test and portability.’
- ‘The test uses nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy to analyse the chemical lubricants of condoms to distinguish between different brands.’
- ‘Trace elements were measured by atomic absorption spectroscopy.’
- ‘NMR spectroscopy, which provides atomic resolution images of biological molecules such as proteins and nucleic acids, showed these aromatic rings were made of lignin derivatives that are abundant in rice soils.’
- ‘The mercury level was measured by cold vapor atomic absorption spectroscopy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.