Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device similar to a spectroheliograph which produces a directly observable monochromatic image of the sun.
- ‘The picture below shows an interior view of the spectrohelioscope with the top cover removed.’
- ‘It also covers the more esoteric subjects of monochromatic observing and spectrohelioscopes.’
- ‘The internal construction of our spectrohelioscope is shown in Fig.3 below.’
- ‘I tried various avenues, and decided after doing research that the spectrohelioscope was the way to go.’
- ‘By combining a spectrograph and a solar telescope a spectrohelioscope allows us to tune to a specific wavelength without having to purchase several filters.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.