Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument for taking photographs of the sun in light of one wavelength only.
- ‘Basically, the spectroheliograph has two spectrographs mounted back-to-back.’
- ‘Hale also gained prominence as an astronomer with his invention of the spectroheliograph and the discovery of magnetic fields in sunspots.’
- ‘He invented the spectroheliograph in 1892, a device that allowed him to view the sun in individual wavelengths of light.’
- ‘The most important advantages of this form of spectroheliograph is the large field photographed.’
- ‘The solar telescopes and spectroheliographs of the Mount Wilson Observatory were among the earliest modern facilities for the study of the solar surface.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.