Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An apparatus for photographing or otherwise recording spectra.
- ‘The high-resolution spectrographs on the world's largest telescopes were able to measure wavelengths in quasar spectra more accurately than they had ever been measured in the laboratory.’
- ‘This approach enables a single imaging spectrograph to perform the work of several independent spectrographs.’
- ‘The imaging spectrograph is connected to a computer.’
- ‘An imaging spectrograph, a digital camera, and a computer analyze the amount of laser light absorbed by the apples, which indicates sweetness.’
- ‘Astronomers have proven this by analyzing the light of distant objects with spectrographs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.