One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A photographic or other visual or electronic representation of a spectrum.
- ‘Nowadays, most spectrograms map frequency to a predefined color table to visually clarify the plot.’
- ‘For the study of vowels and consonants, the waveform is presented as a spectrogram, on which sounds appear as recognizable visual patterns.’
- ‘The picture below shows six sound spectrograms, top to bottom.’
- ‘As I was trained as a linguist, I of course studied spectrograms and sound analyses.’
- ‘By listening to the booms and looking at their spectrograms, the scientists can distinguish between individual bitterns and count them more accurately.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.