One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Asian cobra with a marking on the hood that resembles spectacles.
Naja naja, family ElapidaeAlso called Indian cobra
- ‘A highlight of the sightseeing was watching the snake man charm and entice two spectacled cobras to dance.’
- ‘In India, we have three species of cobras - the spectacled cobra, the monocled cobra, which is in the North east, and the black cobra, which is way up in the Northwest region.’
- ‘A number of reptiles like Kraits, spectacled cobras, turtles and vipers can also be spotted in the sanctuary.’
- ‘In India, the spectacled cobra is much respected and feared, even having its own place in Hindu mythology as a powerful deity.’
- ‘The other cobra of Asia is known variously as the common, Asian, Indian, or spectacled cobra (due to the eyeglass-shaped pattern on its skin).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.