One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An unusual or impressive plant or tree grown as a focus of interest in a garden.
- ‘Small specimen trees are sometimes used as ornamentals at weddings.’
- ‘It will even make a pretty specimen tree for a tiny garden.’
- ‘They make an elegant border for a woodland area, or a good specimen plant.’
- ‘The dramatic change in consumer purchases at garden centres has seen demand spiral for large specimen plants and particularly evergreen herbaceous plants.’
- ‘The new shrub thrives under full sun and can be used as a background planting in a shrub border or as a specimen plant or hedge.’
- ‘Ideal as a small specimen tree, the red berried Rowans are common.’
- ‘Mature gardens with manicured lawns and a selection of specimen trees and shrubs circle the house while there are also storage facilities and a shed.’
- ‘The specimen plants are magnificent, the garden arrangements are imaginative and the scale is breathtaking.’
- ‘We're going to plant a single specimen plant in each pot.’
- ‘Tom nestles many of his specimen plants into containers.’
- ‘It was a fine specimen tree.’
- ‘Some of the trees are over 450 years old, and there is a garden of American specimen trees near the main lake.’
- ‘If you don't intend to use a traditional Christmas tree, decorate large specimen plants with twinkly lights and colourful baubles instead.’
- ‘Steps lead down to a manicured lawn bordered by mature shrubs and specimen trees.’
- ‘It is often used as an informal hedge but is equally attractive as a specimen plant.’
- ‘Dotted throughout the two acres-plus of terraced gardens is a wide variety of specimen trees.’
- ‘They also make good individual specimen trees in a spacious yard.’
- ‘Many fine specimen trees were imported from all over the world in Victorian times, and there are indigenous flora and a number of ancient oaks.’
- ‘At the centre of the site is a large greenhouse filled with hundreds of specimen plants destined for customers' premises.’
- ‘There are four lakes on the grounds and 600 acres of woodland dotted with native species and specimen trees from abroad.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.