Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A disease caused by a particular and characteristic organism.
- ‘These agents are used to cure or prevent specific diseases or disease conditions.’
- ‘Multiple sclerosis is a specific disease.’
- ‘Epidemiologists have found links between specific diseases and birth months.’
- ‘Western medicine confines the dysfunctions of the spleen to specific diseases.’
- ‘It is not a specific disease but a general diagnosis with many possible causes.’
- ‘Strokes can occur in children and young adults due to specific diseases.’
- ‘There are no studies to show that the treatment provides lasting immunity from specific diseases.’
- ‘Vaccines are designed to increase an animal's resistance to specific diseases.’
- ‘We hypothesised and investigated associations between specific causes, specific explanatory mechanisms, and specific diseases.’
- ‘Contact your local extension agent for chemical control measures for specific diseases.’
- ‘The development of palmar arch disease, as a specific disease, was not foreseeable.’
- ‘The immunization level for specific diseases such as polio and measles now surpasses 90 percent.’
- ‘A simple blood test will indicate if your pet has sufficient antibodies against specific diseases.’
- ‘Cancer is both a systemic concern and a specific disease.’
- ‘In recent years, researchers have been able to identify specific genes that are responsible for specific diseases.’
- ‘Pasteur's work was revolutionary and led the way for further research into type of germs causing specific diseases.’
- ‘A kidney biopsy may be required in certain cases to identify the specific disease and to assess the damage.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.