Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The formation of new and distinct species in the course of evolution.
- ‘Many of us think of evolution as speciation, but populations of insects evolved resistance without budding into new species.’
- ‘The creation of a new species is known as speciation.’
- ‘We are the product of a process of speciation, competition, and ecological change.’
- ‘If final speciation was not done on site, participants were asked to identify their reference laboratory.’
- ‘There are hundreds of cases of evolutionary change observed in progress and dozens of observed speciations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.