Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The formation of new and distinct species in the course of evolution.
- ‘We are the product of a process of speciation, competition, and ecological change.’
- ‘The creation of a new species is known as speciation.’
- ‘Many of us think of evolution as speciation, but populations of insects evolved resistance without budding into new species.’
- ‘If final speciation was not done on site, participants were asked to identify their reference laboratory.’
- ‘There are hundreds of cases of evolutionary change observed in progress and dozens of observed speciations.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.