One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Argument in which the speaker deliberately ignores aspects that are unfavourable to their point of view.‘he has produced a piece of special pleading that does not wholly stand up’
- ‘This is a most remarkable piece of special pleading.’
- ‘The professor's statement was itself a piece of special pleading, by a fine scholar determined to avoid theoretical discussions.’
- ‘The foregoing argument may be looked upon suspiciously as special pleading.’
- ‘No one engaged in special pleading.’
- 1.1 Appeals to give a particular interest group special treatment.‘we heard his special pleading for his constituency’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.