Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An edition of a newspaper, magazine, television programme, etc. which differs from the usual format, especially in concentrating on one particularly important story.‘a special edition of the Observer’
- ‘This documentary, directed by Laurence Green, has many of the features of a special edition DVD.’
- ‘Although the extras don't warrant a special edition stamp on the front, the disc is far from being bare-bones.’
- ‘The measurement tool has not changed, but ABC can now measure bulk sales for special editions or sports editions.’
- ‘Universal has now brought both versions of Cape Fear to DVD in separate special editions worthy of the films' reputations.’
- ‘Paramount is not a studio known for producing stunning special editions of their properties.’
- ‘There is also a special edition available.’
- ‘Since then, Paramount has gone back and created two-disc special editions of the first four films.’
- ‘The more special editions I see, the more I am convinced the editor's first choice is usually his best.’
- ‘Fox Home Video is also set free for producing the best special edition discs of all the major studios.’
- ‘While not quite a special edition, the disc serves the public well.’
- ‘He was also involved editorially - as reviewer, editor of influential special editions and as researcher.’
- ‘The explosive testimony will be broadcast on Tuesday night in a special edition of RTE's Prime Time.’
- ‘There is no doubt that this film will be resurrected in a special edition format.’
- ‘It's not perfect, but the groundwork is solid enough that I have hope for future special editions.’
- ‘Warner Brothers has done an excellent job with each of the titles, and they all rival any special editions you could find of classic studio films.’
- ‘Well, ‘Entertainment Weekly’ is releasing not one but six different special editions of the magazine with some of your favorite characters on the covers.’
- ‘Universal has now released Saboteur on DVD as part of its recent flood of Hitchcock special editions.’
- ‘Often the product's drivers are not ready, special editions or in beta stage and testers are struggling to keep up with last minute updates.’
- ‘Cut back on flooding stores with special edition this and special edition that.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.