One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in the UK) guaranteed delivery of a letter within the UK the day after posting.‘a parcel arrived by special delivery’
- ‘If you're really leaving it to the last moment, you'll need special delivery, which guarantees next day delivery.’
- 1.1 (in the US) delivery of mail outside normal hours on payment of an additional fee.
mail, the postal service, the postal systemView synonyms
- ‘Additional charges may apply for bulk orders or special delivery.’
- ‘So Kaulkin came down to the parking lot carrying a mail basket containing 15 special delivery packages.’
- 1.2count noun A letter or parcel sent by a special-delivery service.
post, letters, packages, parcels, correspondence, communications, airmailView synonyms
- ‘Some 4,000 managers were drafted in to get out special deliveries and to collect mail in the main commercial areas.’
- ‘There was a special delivery for me yesterday.’
- ‘I've just got a special delivery in today.’
- ‘The defendant's real complaint was that, when the trial bundle was sent by special delivery, the envelope was addressed wrongly.’
- ‘Targets for parcels and special deliveries were missed after reaching new working practices agreements with the unions.’
- ‘Karen, you just received a special delivery.’
- ‘Will a shake-up at the Post Office be a special delivery for entrepreneurs?’
- ‘For professional contractors, the company has commercial credit programs, special delivery services and dedicated staff.’
- ‘Many products - such as special deliveries - which were currently not regulated would be now price-controlled, he said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.