One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in the UK) guaranteed delivery of a letter within the UK the day after posting.‘a parcel arrived by special delivery’
- ‘If you're really leaving it to the last moment, you'll need special delivery, which guarantees next day delivery.’
- 1.1 (in the US) delivery of mail outside normal hours on payment of an additional fee.
mail, the postal service, the postal systemView synonyms
- ‘Additional charges may apply for bulk orders or special delivery.’
- ‘So Kaulkin came down to the parking lot carrying a mail basket containing 15 special delivery packages.’
- 1.2count noun A letter or parcel sent by a special-delivery service.
post, letters, packages, parcels, correspondence, communications, airmailView synonyms
- ‘The defendant's real complaint was that, when the trial bundle was sent by special delivery, the envelope was addressed wrongly.’
- ‘Many products - such as special deliveries - which were currently not regulated would be now price-controlled, he said.’
- ‘Will a shake-up at the Post Office be a special delivery for entrepreneurs?’
- ‘Karen, you just received a special delivery.’
- ‘There was a special delivery for me yesterday.’
- ‘I've just got a special delivery in today.’
- ‘Targets for parcels and special deliveries were missed after reaching new working practices agreements with the unions.’
- ‘Some 4,000 managers were drafted in to get out special deliveries and to collect mail in the main commercial areas.’
- ‘For professional contractors, the company has commercial credit programs, special delivery services and dedicated staff.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.