One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A billfish that resembles the marlin.
Genus Tetrapturus, family Istiophoridae: several species
- ‘There's a trophy for the biggest spearfish over 30 pounds.’
- ‘The same day we catch our last marlin we hook and land a spearfish.’
- ‘The seas seem to have just marlin and spearfish.’
verb[no object]often as noun spearfishing
Fish using a spear.‘spearfishing is strictly illegal in the marine parks’‘resort owners do not allow tourists to spearfish’
- ‘The centre offers diving, spearfishing, underwater photography, and simply sailing.’
- ‘If Moises's pals were going spearfishing for dinner, he went too.’
- ‘The spearfishing craze was at its height, and few devotees paid any attention to the local legislation outlawing the use of spearguns with diving equipment.’
- ‘Somewhat perversely, spearfishing is still allowed within the area of the marine reserve, so I don't blame the big fish for being cautious.’
- ‘I have nothing against selective spearfishing for the odd meal, but most of this lot come under the category of ‘idiots with spearguns‘.’
- ‘Cyprus has been intensively fished for many years and scuba spearfishing remains popular.’
- ‘Of all shark attacks worldwide, nearly all occur on surfers and many were directly related to fishing or spearfishing.’
- ‘One aspect of diving holidays that has pretty much disappeared is the sport of spearfishing.’
- ‘Because spearfishing is forbidden, there are many reef fishes in all sizes, and they are not shy.’
- ‘During his years spearfishing on the Banks, Trevor Krull learned to respect these awesome predators.’
- ‘Malta's clear waters are home to plentiful fish, despite continuing illegal spearfishing.’
- ‘Trawling, rod-and-line fishing and spearfishing were banned.’
- ‘Morihei spent a good deal of time on the ocean spearfishing.’
- ‘He remembers spearfishing with the island kids; she, picking flowers in the forest with her grandmother.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.