One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to introduce a remark about a topic recently alluded to.‘speaking of cost, can I afford to buy it?’
on the subject of, about, concerning, apropos of, with reference to, speaking of, with regard to, with respect to, regarding, as regards, relating to, respecting, in connection with, as for, reView synonyms
- ‘So speaking of guitars, which one are you bringing to try-outs?’
- ‘And speaking of images, we're not done with customizing this client.’
- ‘And speaking of invisibles planes, where's Wonder Woman's invisible plane?’
- ‘Well, speaking of which, let's not keep him waiting.’
- ‘Speaking of riding, I want a word with the Dawn about the horses.’
- ‘Speaking of short, that's exactly what I am.’
- ‘And speaking of teams overstuffed with midfielders - Tottenham Hotspur appear finally to be moving towards closure on the Jermaine Jenas question.’
- ‘Now, speaking of your first mission, would you like to brief me on the exact details?’
- ‘So, speaking of Jeff, I take it this means I can tell him he's free to get married now you've found someone else?’
- ‘And speaking of Napoléon, his first wife, the Empress Josephine, had a living collection of more than 250 types of roses in her gardens at Malmaison.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.