Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a gesture, circumstance, etc.) convey a great deal without using words.‘a look that spoke volumes’‘his record speaks volumes for his determination’
- ‘‘Don't bring my brother into this,’ Micah's tone was cold and spoke volumes more than the words themselves.’
- ‘Kylara needed no words; her sad teal eyes spoke volumes.’
- ‘Many emotions were playing across Carly's expressive face, speaking volumes without saying a word.’
- ‘His expression spoke volumes his words could not.’
- ‘Actions speak louder than words, and inaction speaks volumes.’
- ‘She'd get into the habit of rooting around in charity shops (thrift-stores in America) for an outfit that spoke volumes in individuality and style.’
- ‘Buffy stood up and walked toward Spike, and I could see how effortlessly her every gesture spoke volumes to him.’
- ‘Who needs fancy words when an effortless turn of inflection can speak volumes?’
- ‘It was not the bond of a family, but the bond of those who knew each other so well that they could speak volumes without words.’
- ‘The look spoke volumes, volumes Zack couldn't grasp.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.