One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a gesture, circumstance, etc.) convey a great deal without using words.‘a look that spoke volumes’‘his record speaks volumes for his determination’
- ‘‘Don't bring my brother into this,’ Micah's tone was cold and spoke volumes more than the words themselves.’
- ‘It was not the bond of a family, but the bond of those who knew each other so well that they could speak volumes without words.’
- ‘His expression spoke volumes his words could not.’
- ‘The look spoke volumes, volumes Zack couldn't grasp.’
- ‘Many emotions were playing across Carly's expressive face, speaking volumes without saying a word.’
- ‘Who needs fancy words when an effortless turn of inflection can speak volumes?’
- ‘Actions speak louder than words, and inaction speaks volumes.’
- ‘Kylara needed no words; her sad teal eyes spoke volumes.’
- ‘Buffy stood up and walked toward Spike, and I could see how effortlessly her every gesture spoke volumes to him.’
- ‘She'd get into the habit of rooting around in charity shops (thrift-stores in America) for an outfit that spoke volumes in individuality and style.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.