One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Speak in support of.‘there was no independent body to speak up for press freedoms’
support, give one's support to, take the side of, side with, be on the side of, stand by, stand up for, take someone's part, be supportive of, be loyal to, defend, come to the defence of, champion, speak up for, fight forView synonyms
- ‘She was always a person who would speak up for what was right, even if feathers got ruffled.’
- ‘What small businesses need is a body that speaks up for their interests, freeing them to get on with the important job of widget fabrication and processing.’
- ‘Orwell spoke up for what he saw as common human decencies - but these decencies were politically marginal, and thus in a sense not common at all.’
- ‘The older is more independent minded and can speak up for herself.’
- ‘We were worried the decision was made in advance but a couple of the councillors spoke up for us.’
- ‘Jack Locke is a person who speaks up for what he believes in.’
- ‘But I'm speaking up for all the other women he has betrayed with his so-called sexual bravado.’
- ‘To speak up for or defend animals who cannot defend themselves against abuse is not a crime, nor should it ever be one.’
- ‘What do we have to fear from speaking up for what we believe in?’
- ‘But that doesn't mean you can't speak up for what you want.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.