One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Shining with glittering flashes of light.‘a sparkly silver dress’‘blue eyes like sparkly gems’
- ‘To go with her outfit, she had diamond studs in her ears and sparkly brown eye shadow.’
- ‘He could almost see Paris, the sun just beginning to peer over Notre Dame, creating sparkly reflections on the Seine.’
- ‘Automatically, I raised my hand to make sure she hadn't clipped any sparkly thing to my hair.’
- ‘It's brand new with a sparkly dark blue cover.’
- ‘They begin in sparkly capes, which are soon discarded to reveal seventies-style Roman tunics.’
2Lively and animated.‘his friends were witty and sparkly’‘I am feeling very happy and sparkly’
- ‘We slide straight from the horror of emaciated refugees to a bright and sparkly commercial for toothpaste.’
- ‘This year, they continue to counterbalance the sparkly entertainment with a bigger-than-ever line-up of alternative acts.’
- ‘That his daughter has inherited his eye for detail and ear for the right word has been apparent since that "funny, sparkly" first novel.’
- ‘Somebody has taken this sparkly person from the world in the most awful way, leaving a huge gap in all of our lives.’
- ‘He had this sparkly, devilish, bad-boy quality.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.