One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Shining with glittering flashes of light.‘a sparkly silver dress’‘blue eyes like sparkly gems’
- ‘It's brand new with a sparkly dark blue cover.’
- ‘He could almost see Paris, the sun just beginning to peer over Notre Dame, creating sparkly reflections on the Seine.’
- ‘They begin in sparkly capes, which are soon discarded to reveal seventies-style Roman tunics.’
- ‘To go with her outfit, she had diamond studs in her ears and sparkly brown eye shadow.’
- ‘Automatically, I raised my hand to make sure she hadn't clipped any sparkly thing to my hair.’
2Lively and animated.‘his friends were witty and sparkly’‘I am feeling very happy and sparkly’
- ‘He had this sparkly, devilish, bad-boy quality.’
- ‘This year, they continue to counterbalance the sparkly entertainment with a bigger-than-ever line-up of alternative acts.’
- ‘We slide straight from the horror of emaciated refugees to a bright and sparkly commercial for toothpaste.’
- ‘Somebody has taken this sparkly person from the world in the most awful way, leaving a huge gap in all of our lives.’
- ‘That his daughter has inherited his eye for detail and ear for the right word has been apparent since that "funny, sparkly" first novel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.