One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Closely trimmed ribs of pork.
- ‘The crispy pork spare ribs, excited as I was to try them, didn't really deliver though.’
- ‘His carrots are nice, his potatoes are nice, his spare ribs are nice, his fish is nicely browned.’
- ‘Savor the steamed shrimp dumplings or pork spareribs.’
- ‘I was the chef for dinner and could almost taste the spare ribs we had planned for that evening.’
- ‘The cook who served the spareribs returns with a carton of ice cream.’
- ‘New Yorkers discovered ‘real’ Chinese regional cuisine, but the spareribs have endured.’
- ‘Take a bite of his perfectly crusted, tender spareribs, and respect may turn to reverence.’
- ‘Afterwards, 80 people were invited for spring rolls, spare ribs, and lemon chicken.’
- ‘Tonight we had a great dinner, it was spareribs, mashed potatoes and shortbread for dessert.’
- ‘I was told that the more run-down the town, the better the music and spareribs.’
- ‘Our son loves to cook burgers or chicken and my husband is noted for his spare ribs.’
- ‘The sweetness of his spareribs is tempered by toasted sesame.’
- ‘Barbecue spareribs were not on the menu at Base Camp.’
- ‘The Fourth of July Bash includes a roast suckling pig, barbecued spareribs and charcoal-broiled steaks.’
- ‘Whenever I'm in crisis I just scream for Chinese spare ribs and chocolate cake.’
- ‘But the crowd-pleaser is lusciously roasted baby loin of pork, accompanied not only by sauerkraut and apple compote but by smoked sausage and two spare ribs.’
- ‘I like a rack of ribs, a spare rib and a sweet and soured ball.’
- ‘A buffet breakfast served in the lounge drew early risers and light eaters, and an on-deck barbecue featured spare ribs, fresh Coho salmon, sausages, and burgers.’
- ‘If you've ever had spare ribs and found them too dry, try these lacquered ribs.’
Late 16th century: probably from Middle Low German ribbesper (by transposition of the syllables), and associated with the adjective spare.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.