One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A yucca with long stiff sword-shaped leaves and tall, slender spikes of white flowers, found from the southern US to the Caribbean.
Yucca aloifolia, family Agavaceae
- ‘The Spanish bayonet and fountain grass are about 2 to 3 years old.’
- ‘My picture of the Spanish bayonet flower, with its embedded yucca moths, was unsatisfactory.’
- ‘The Spanish bayonet has leaves that are rigid with leaf margins that are sharply serrated.’
- ‘The Spanish bayonet tends to topple over and re-root itself, where the Spanish Dagger is stationary.’
- ‘Our camp was on the eastern slope of a ridge thickly overgrown with high grass and Spanish bayonets.’
- ‘Do not plant Spanish bayonet near walkways, patios or in areas frequented by children and pets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.