Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A type of stretchy polyurethane fabric.[as modifier] ‘gold spandex leggings’
- ‘The TotalGym really works, it's fun, and you don't have to suffer the disapproving stares of the scary spandex people at the gym.’
- ‘My friends are the ones who wear clown-colored spandex.’
- ‘The Lycra spandex stretch denim business is good, he adds, and is expected to become a core offering in the United States.’
- ‘They all wore the same ridiculous costumes; black spandex with red body armour and helmets with face concealing black plexiglass.’
- ‘I wore pink spandex with bright blue flowers and yellow t-shirts.’
1950s: an arbitrary formation from expand.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.