One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A western film made cheaply in Europe by an Italian director.
- ‘Curiously, although he was a most notable producer of garlic gangsters he disapproved of Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns.’
- ‘Anime, spaghetti westerns and exploitation movies are all referenced.’
- ‘At the height of his powers, Leone co-scripted and directed two of the most emblematic of the spaghetti westerns.’
- ‘Cinemas were flooded with a wide variety of pulpy movies, including spaghetti westerns, police thrillers, and sex comedies, many of which were cheaply produced and churned out by less-than-talented individuals.’
- ‘It is basically his homage to all the old school spaghetti westerns, samurai flicks and even Japanese animation films of the past, of which Tarantino is a huge fan.’
- ‘He's been compared to the Clint Eastwood character in the spaghetti westerns, but he's much more expansive and endearing.’
- ‘Outside of Leone's spaghetti westerns this brutal film is the spaghetti western of choice!’
- ‘The film's soundtrack is similar, referencing Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns with three Ennio Morricone songs.’
- ‘The movie never quite figures out how to make the spaghetti western motif work.’
- ‘It was as if they'd walked directly into a spaghetti western; the piano stopped, the bartender ducked behind the bar and one could almost hear the six shooters sliding out of their holsters.’
- ‘If the 1960s was the decade of the spaghetti western and the 1970s belonged to the bloated disaster movie, this decade has been conquered by the most unlikely of Hollywood genres: the documentary.’
- ‘Whether scoring spaghetti westerns or Italian shock, Morricone's trademark seems to be a sound of individualistic spirit, the loner with a distinct purpose.’
- ‘His spaghetti westerns are the defining films of the western genre.’
- ‘This movie took the spaghetti western into a more serious territory.’
- ‘Like many of the spaghetti westerns, Compañeros is difficult to pigeonhole.’
- ‘The screenwriter/director openly acknowledges his debt to some of his favourite movie genres, including anime, spaghetti western, and kung-fu.’
- ‘The title of the famous spaghetti western directed by Sergio Leonne would perhaps sum up how the police have been portrayed over the years in Malayalam movies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.