One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A square enlargement at the end of a chair leg.
- ‘Heppelwhite's favorite leg was square, and he made use frequently of the spade foot.’
- ‘It dates from circa 1780, with butterfly shaped top and satinwood crossbanding, fitted with a drawer, on tapering square legs with spade feet.’
- ‘It contains 3 cock-beaded frieze drawers with brass oval handles above 4 doors & raised on square tapered legs ending in spade feet.’
- ‘This is a delicate Federal-era design with gracefully tapered, curved legs ending in fine spade feet.’
- ‘The fold-over tops conceal a playing surface and guinea wells, raised on square tapering legs and spade feet.’
- ‘This set was hand made with spade feet and wheat carved open pierced carved backs.’
- ‘Having a Serpentine shaped top above an arrangement of a central drawer, flanked by a cupboard to the left, and a cellarette to the right, the whole is supported on tapering legs with spade feet.’
- ‘The legs have matching graduated bellflowers and stringing and the spade feet are cut out from a solid leg blank.’
- ‘This is a fine antique English Pembroke table in mahogany having oval top with two drop leaves above a bow front drawer with satinwood stringing and raised on moulded tapered legs ending in spade feet.’
- ‘Each tapering leg is headed by an inlaid diamond-shaped panel of purpleheart, and also inlaid with boxwood, terminating in spade feet.’
- ‘The harp form raised on a slender knopped standard and tripod cabriole legs ending in spade feet.’
- ‘It includes meticulously gauged fluting across the apron and down the legs, terminating in swelled spade feet.’
- ‘The front legs are squared and tapered ending in spade feet.’
- ‘Hepplewhite introduced the tapering, square leg often tapered on the inside faces only usually ending in the spade foot, which added a needed look of strength.’
- ‘Also seen was an early Nineteenth Century, New England birch tilt-top candlestand in red wash with spider legs, spade feet and forged nail construction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.