Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounNorth American
A compound used to fill cracks in plaster and produce a smooth surface before decoration.‘ceiling spackle and fake-wood decorative beams’
- ‘This is time consuming and not always aesthetically necessary, but if you decide to fill them in, use lightweight spackle and caulk.’
- ‘A coat of spackle and paint won't hide the resulting cracks and disfiguring dents.’
- ‘Use no-shrink spackle, joint compound or plaster to patch screw holes.’
- ‘Fill all cracks and holes using a joint compound and drywall compound or spackle.’
- ‘Gouges or holes in the walls must be repaired with wall board compound, spackle, or patching plaster.’
Repair (a surface) or fill (a hole or crack) with spackle.‘pull off any loose paper and spackle these areas’
- ‘Pate reported that the New Orleans project team plans to spackle any bug holes on the inside walls and spray/splatter a textured finish to complete the inside surfaces.’
- ‘I spackled the wall two years back and have just been sort of glaring at it since.’
- ‘I'm hoping to finish spackling and caulking by 5 AM so I can get a few hours of sleep before I record.’
- ‘If you score the wall, too, it can always be spackled and sanded.’
- ‘He can smoke all he wants in our apartment, but he has to spackle those holes first.’
- ‘We can move a thousand people over a weekend if we don't have to paint and spackle.’
- ‘In something of a daze, I quickly spackled the holes left by the shelf removal and began to paint.’
- ‘He's been madly spackling and painting his nice new walls and windows.’
- ‘We spackled, moved bookshelves and discussed my new foster brother.’
1920s: perhaps a blend of sparkle and German Spachtel ‘putty knife, mastic’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.