Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A compound used to fill cracks in plaster and produce a smooth surface before decoration:‘ceiling spackle and fake-wood decorative beams’
- ‘Gouges or holes in the walls must be repaired with wall board compound, spackle, or patching plaster.’
- ‘Use no-shrink spackle, joint compound or plaster to patch screw holes.’
- ‘A coat of spackle and paint won't hide the resulting cracks and disfiguring dents.’
- ‘This is time consuming and not always aesthetically necessary, but if you decide to fill them in, use lightweight spackle and caulk.’
- ‘Fill all cracks and holes using a joint compound and drywall compound or spackle.’
Repair (a surface) or fill (a hole or crack) with spackle:‘pull off any loose paper and spackle these areas’
- ‘He's been madly spackling and painting his nice new walls and windows.’
- ‘I spackled the wall two years back and have just been sort of glaring at it since.’
- ‘We spackled, moved bookshelves and discussed my new foster brother.’
- ‘He can smoke all he wants in our apartment, but he has to spackle those holes first.’
- ‘In something of a daze, I quickly spackled the holes left by the shelf removal and began to paint.’
- ‘Pate reported that the New Orleans project team plans to spackle any bug holes on the inside walls and spray/splatter a textured finish to complete the inside surfaces.’
- ‘If you score the wall, too, it can always be spackled and sanded.’
- ‘I'm hoping to finish spackling and caulking by 5 AM so I can get a few hours of sleep before I record.’
- ‘We can move a thousand people over a weekend if we don't have to paint and spackle.’
1920s: perhaps a blend of sparkle and German Spachtel putty knife, mastic.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.