One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A base from which spacecraft are launched.
- ‘Some day there may be a different operator at each of dozens of spaceports around the country.’
- ‘In the United States alone over a dozen states, including inland states such as Idaho and Oklahoma, have expressed an interest in developing spaceports for future reusable launch vehicles.’
- ‘This meant that it must develop launchers and have its own spaceport.’
- ‘Flight 152, the next launch from Europe's spaceport, is scheduled to take place on 5 June.’
- ‘Back in the early 90's there was an attempt to establish a spaceport in Hawaii.’
- ‘The mission would blast off from Kourou spaceport in French Guiana in 2011 aboard a Soyuz launcher.’
- ‘VIPs in attendance at the spaceport could see the video on a big screen.’
- ‘It is the only civilian test flight center and just one of a handful of spaceports.’
- ‘In the late 1990s regional and state officials seized on a new use for the base: as a spaceport.’
- ‘The space community also argues that new spaceports will be online to handle the rush of new launch companies.’
- ‘Desert spaceports and dusty workshops cluttered with rocket nozzles and airframes have sprung up across California and Canada.’
- ‘At around 50,000 feet the spaceship will return to a glider-like configuration for the landing back at the spaceport.’
- ‘Facilities for the public at Mojave on June 21st were a bit basic, and will need to improve at all spaceports, because this new era of space flight will succeed or fail depending on the way the public perceives the experience.’
- ‘Some of these technologies are already being tested or used at other spaceports, or are commonly used elsewhere for missile launches, but the Eastern Range is somehow slow to adapt.’
- ‘He noted that the company has had discussions with New Mexico and Florida about setting up operations at spaceports in those states.’
- ‘The US would have to station inspectors at each and every spaceport or launch facility worldwide.’
- ‘He also worked to develop the spaceport and range technologies to improve safety and reduce the cost of access to space.’
- ‘California and Oklahoma are still benefiting from the influx of hope that came when they were settled and it is those two places that the first private spaceports are rising.’
- ‘Around the world, steps have been taken to develop commercial spaceports, some at sites of established launch facilities and others unrelated to existing facilities.’
- ‘Exploring Mars requires no miraculous new technologies, no orbiting spaceports, and no gigantic interplanetary space cruisers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.