One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A trainee astronaut.
- ‘Hey, I'm not gonna have my future space cadet be late for training.’
- ‘White teeth, square jaws and perfectly coiffed tresses are the order of the day for both sexes in this film, as a group of brave youngsters sign up to become elite space cadets and save their world.’
- 1.1 An enthusiast for space travel, typically a young person.
- ‘For those space cadets who, like myself, witnessed the event on television, the spirit of those pioneers will live on, whatever the fallout from the latest tragedy.’
2informal A person regarded as being out of touch with reality.‘it's not surprising that the British rock press has her down as a major space cadet’
- ‘He's a bit of a space cadet but he has fantastic energy, a great physique and is fast.’
- ‘I was such a space cadet, deep in thought but thinking of nothing most of the time.’
- ‘Sometimes she could be a little bit of a space cadet, but that was only because of her attention deficit disorder, which was kept in check by the meds supplied by her mother every morning when she woke up.’
- ‘You were totally in another universe, you space cadet!’
- ‘But Ashley is still the space cadet that we know and love.’
- ‘The questions seemed designed, as they say, for airheads and space cadets - absolutely unfair to the contending ladies, among whom were students, bank clerks and wannabe lawyers.’
- ‘What was it like to try to pin them down, because they both, kind of, come off as space cadets and give these long, rambling answers?’
- ‘At this, a beatific, lights-on-but-no-one-home smile spreads across the space cadet's face.’
- ‘He's a total space cadet if he thinks we can track down a fictitious character.’
- ‘And if one more person around me calls me a space cadet, I'm going to smack him.’
- ‘Rachel isn't the right woman for him, but Jude is probably too much of a space cadet.’
- ‘Olivia is a nice woman, but a bit of a space cadet, always kind of frazzled and forgetful, rushing to and fro.’
- ‘He cast himself as a sort of acoustic space cadet, a folksy psychadelicist who tries to hard for weird chords and lets-scream-this-all-together humanist anthems.’
- ‘It is a huge misconception that experiencers are gullible, fantasy prone, space cadets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.