Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The liquid obtained by suspending soya bean flour in water, used as a fat-free substitute for milk, particularly by vegans.
- ‘However, evidence suggests that consuming more of certain foods, including tomatoes and soya milk, may help reduce the risk of this disease.’
- ‘I don't like dairy products and drink soya milk - at first I found it disgusting but I grew to like it.’
- ‘For those who suffer a strong allergic reaction to cow's milk or follow a vegan diet, soya milk has always been an important option.’
- ‘At nine I have breakfast - muesli with soya milk.’
- ‘Live yoghurt, sweetened soya milk and soft fruit, such as strawberries or raspberries, make a popular drink for kids, especially if served in an interesting glass with a straw.’
- ‘For breakfast I'll have porridge with soya milk and fruit, sprinkled with some ground cinnamon.’
- ‘I have to use soya milk because I became allergic to dairy milk when I was a child.’
- ‘My vegan-friendly chocolate pie was made with organic cocoa, soya milk and rice flour.’
- ‘His parents first realised something was wrong soon after Matthew was born because he couldn't keep milk down and eventually had to be fed soya milk.’
- ‘I'd have soup for dinner or breakfast but I usually have cornflakes in the morning with the unsweetened soya milk.’
- ‘For children suffering from lactose or milk proteins intolerance, soya milk is promoted as the best alternative.’
- ‘I'm not over-enthusiastic about cow's milk and believe that non-dairy substitutes such as soya milk are better for many people.’
- ‘Drinking soya milk, however, is not an alternative.’
- ‘Mrs Harrison reckons things have changed significantly since the 1980s when she bought her first packet of soya milk.’
- ‘They cannot imagine a world without soya milk, bean sprouts and instant coffee, and seem unable to appreciate that their brave new world is recent, superficial and unsustainable.’
- ‘I had mine made with soya milk as I was keen to try it, but it's just as lovely with skimmed cow's milk.’
- ‘Milk, cheese, free-range eggs, yoghurt, soya milk, tofu, beans, cereals and grains are a few of the options, while good sources of energy include lentils with vegetable oil, avocado, cheese or smooth nut butter.’
- ‘Sauces made from tomatoes, onions and olive oil or white sauces made from soya milk and cornflour were suggested as an accompaniment to evening meals.’
- ‘If you don't drink cows milk or eat dairy products, you can get calcium from soya milk and yoghurts with added calcium, and from leafy green vegetables.’
- ‘A typical day started with breakfast of soya milk, oat bran cereal with chopped fruit and almonds, oatmeal bread, vegetable-based margarine and jam.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.