One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Protein derived from the beans of an Asian plant, used as a replacement for animal protein in certain foods.Also called soy
- ‘Top offending foods identified were, in alphabetical order, barley, beef, chicken, lamb, potato, rice, soya and wheat.’
- ‘The protein content in soya is substantially high when compared to pulses, they said.’
- ‘Patients with gout should avoid high quality protein foods like non-vegetarian food and soya.’
- ‘Beef burgers were made from soya, and fish fingers from 20 per cent fish.’
- ‘While late middle age may seem a strange time to convert to beans and soya, Atkinson argues that the benefits can be seen in a few months.’
- ‘These guys can make all these non-veg dishes using soya, mushrooms and beancurd.’
- ‘That old Asian standby, soya, contains isoflavonoids, which help inhibit the growth of prostate cancer cells.’
- ‘We are not a people beholden to faddish diets, hung up on tofu, soya, sushi or colon-cleansers.’
- ‘Zinc supplementation may reduce copper absorption, while various foods interfere with zinc absorption, including soya, cow's milk, iron supplements, wholewheat bread and bran.’
- ‘My one slight concern about his diet is that it is based around just a couple of core foods; namely soya and wheat.’
- ‘He's slim and trim, doesn't smoke, hardly drinks, eats lots of fish, soya and salad, and does a half-hour workout on his exercise bike each day.’
- ‘Instead, people ate beef burgers made from soya and fish fingers composed of almost anything but fish.’
- ‘But doesn't the introduction of tofu and soya in the South African market simply give consumers a wider choice, and promote the economy through healthy free market competition?’
2The widely cultivated plant of the pea family which produces soya beans.
Glycine max, family Leguminosae
- ‘So far Argentina has approved crop trials for various cultivars of sunflower, maize, alfalfa, wheat, soya and potato.’
- ‘It used to be described as the bread basket of southern Africa, with neat fields of maize and soya growing in rich red soil and farmers notching up world records for yields.’
- ‘In the USA, millions of acres are being planted with GM wheat and soya for human consumption.’
- ‘Besides GM cotton, genetically altered maize, soya and oilseed rape are grown.’
- ‘According to estimates of the Agriculture Department, the area under soya cultivation is going to increase by another 30,000 hectares from last year's 70,000 hectares.’
Late 17th century: via Dutch soja from Japanese soy, shoy (see soy).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.