Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who supports Quebec's right to self-government or full independence.
- ‘Federalists prefer to spend billions on red flags, while sovereigntists prefer efficient grammar.’
- ‘The sovereigntist / separatist Bloc Quebecois are the obvious candidate for hostile weakness.’
- ‘In 1995, sovereigntists won 49.4 percent for the Yes.’
- ‘Many traditional leaders are unabashedly sovereigntists.’
- ‘He practically apologizes for being a sovereigntist.’
- ‘He was rejecting Republicans who were what the authors call "sovereigntists" - those suspicious of all foreign entanglements and international institution.’
- ‘The effects appear to be marginal in terms of a significant shift in public opinion, but such activities annoy the sovereigntists.’
- ‘When did sovereigntists say they wanted to split apart the other nine provinces?’
- ‘The question should not be how to resurrect Mr. Mulroney's devil's bargain with the sovereigntists.’
- ‘Asking for the Bloc vote, he said that by voting for the sovereigntists, Quebeckers risked voting for the same result.’
- ‘Landry is now facing the most criticism and biggest challenge to his leadership from fellow sovereigntists since the PQ was turfed from power last year.’
- ‘We are there to prepare sovereignty, and because one person out of two in Québec is a sovereigntist, and there is no taxation without representation, as they say.’
- ‘For sovereigntists, it is impossible not to recognize that Gill carrying the Canadian flag is the result of his inability to carry his own.’
- ‘Politics, sovereigntists claim, is the struggle for the right to govern, and hence for the right to control the state.’
- ‘The "No" campaign has been vigorous, comprising a motley crew of aging Marxists, anti-globalisation protesters, traditional Eurosceptics, and obsessive " sovereigntists ".’
- ‘I perfectly accept that sovereigntists on all sides of the argument wish that we did not have the Treaty of Waitangi, because their argument would then prevail.’
- ‘Federal Environment Minister Stephane Dion, a longtime nemesis of Quebec sovereigntists, added Monday that Parizeau's idea was deceptive as well as illegal.’
- ‘Kashmiri sovereigntists have only the larger world community to appeal to in their quest for an independent Kashmir.’
- ‘Today we are the victims of an alliance of right wing nationalists and leftist sovereigntists who think that world revolution is approaching.’
- ‘I am a Canadian sovereigntist, and the same people who exploit the world exploit my country.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.