One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) the allowance provided annually by the government to support the Queen in her official duties, which replaced the Civil List in 2011.
- ‘From January, the Royal family will receive 15 per cent of the profits of the Crown Estate as a Sovereign Grant.’
- ‘The helicopter costs will be covered by the sovereign grant.’
- ‘The cost of keeping the monarchy fell by £1.8 million last year under the new sovereign grant system to be introduced by the Government, Buckingham Palace accounts show.’
- ‘Spending from the sovereign grant rose by £2.4 million to a £35.7 million total’
- ‘The Sovereign Grant will hit 40 million pounds in April 2015.’
- ‘It is a way of managing and adding to the budget of the Sovereign Grant over the next three years.’
- ‘The Queen’s income from the taxpayer will rise because of a deal linking the Royal Household’s Sovereign Grant from the Government to 15 per cent of the profits of the Crown Estate property portfolio.’
- ‘The Queen now receives a Sovereign Grant to spend as she wishes on her residences and official duties.’
- ‘One of the richest women in the country, with a "personal net worth" of £340m, is to get an increase in her "sovereign grant" of 5%.’
- ‘Expenditure during this Diamond Jubilee year will require the use of reserves as the first year of the Sovereign Grant provides for funding of only £31 million.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.