One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounthe sovereign good
The greatest good, especially that of a state or its people.
- ‘We shall see how mercy and justice are united in all the works of God, how eternal love is identical with the sovereign good.’
- ‘Withdraw yourself from all outward things as much as is possible to you and with a fervent love cleave ever to the sovereign good that is God and having always your mind lifted up in contemplation of heavenly things.’
- ‘People still went on talking about truth and beauty as though they were the sovereign goods.’
- ‘It is the direction towards the sovereign good - which is unlimited - that brings meaning to human life, and it is the pursuit of this great good that makes one's life great.’
- ‘Further, since the desire for the sovereign good never fails, it seems to be infinite.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.