One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounthe sovereign good
The greatest good, especially that of a state or its people.
- ‘Further, since the desire for the sovereign good never fails, it seems to be infinite.’
- ‘We shall see how mercy and justice are united in all the works of God, how eternal love is identical with the sovereign good.’
- ‘People still went on talking about truth and beauty as though they were the sovereign goods.’
- ‘Withdraw yourself from all outward things as much as is possible to you and with a fervent love cleave ever to the sovereign good that is God and having always your mind lifted up in contemplation of heavenly things.’
- ‘It is the direction towards the sovereign good - which is unlimited - that brings meaning to human life, and it is the pursuit of this great good that makes one's life great.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.