Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bushy artemisia of southern Europe.Also called lad's love
- ‘Many herbs can help to deter flies, such as lavender, sweet woodruff, lemon verbena, star anise, tansy, any of the mints, rosemary, bay, chamomile, rue, elder, southernwood and basil.’
- ‘The heat brings out the scents; not just the crambe, but the dry undertang of artemisias and southernwood, and the bold, voluptuous wafts from lilies, roses and nicotiana.’
- ‘Southernwood grows in a dryish soil and in full sun.’
- ‘For example, southernwood or wormwood planted around the border of the garden may discourage aphids from entering.’
- ‘Southernwood rarely persists after cultivation and is not an important member of plant communities in the United States.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.