One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A native or inhabitant of the south, especially of the southern United States or southern England.
- ‘In six years, southerners would be entitled to a referendum to determine whether they wanted to form their own state.’
- ‘Don't look at us - we're just a bunch of soft southerners.’
- ‘Do you dislike me because I talk like a southerner and listen to country music on occasion?’
- ‘Some of the nine were native southerners; others grew up in politically radical families from the North.’
- ‘But I never cease to be amazed by the stunning ignorance of southerners of our great city.’
- ‘In the past six months, southerners have been voting with their feet.’
- ‘In the north people are rather more forthcoming, which southerners regard as being over-familiar and nosey.’
- ‘As it happened the group was fairly evenly divided between northerners and southerners.’
- ‘As a native southerner, I confess to a skewed view of ‘faith-based’ administration of social policies.’
- ‘Northerners are more cautious and suspicious than southerners.’
- ‘Was the system of tariffs more injurious to southerners than, say, an income tax or a property tax?’
- ‘Although they were diverse, two crucial factors distinguished these new southerners from their northern cousins.’
- ‘The Festival is coming, and with it legions of southerners clogging up Edinburgh's hippest restaurants and bars.’
- ‘The irony is acute: while many young locals flee the Highlands, many southerners see the area as the promised land.’
- ‘I am a southerner, and southerners have a strong tradition of chivalry.’
- ‘I'll give you southerners some credit on that front.’
- ‘Jazz music was certainly at its finest last Sunday as an array of musicians came together to give southerners a night of jazz they would not soon forget.’
- ‘Mr Andrews pledged he will put his northern customers first and will only be sending southerners his surplus stock.’
- ‘Hordes of Scots and Geordies will be descending on the city for Royal Ascot at York as southerners stay at home, advance ticket sales have revealed.’
- ‘The tendency of southerners to outnumber northerners in the army continued to the outbreak of civil war.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.