Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Another name for the aurora australis.See aurora
- ‘The ceiling near the entrance portrays two spectacular phenomena of southern skies - the Southern Cross and Aurora Australis, the Southern Lights.’
- ‘My mum has seen the Southern Lights 4 or 5 times in her life.’
- ‘This view of the Aurora Australis, or Southern Lights, which was photographed by an astronaut aboard Space Shuttle Discovery in 1991, shows a spiked band of red and green aurora above the Earth's Limb.’
- ‘His current interests include the simulation of light interaction with plants, as well as the dynamic simulation of the Aurora, better known as the Northern and Southern Lights.’
- ‘I saw the Southern Lights last August in Alexandra, NZ.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.