A North American tree of the heather family, which has acid-tasting leaves.Also called sorrel tree
- ‘Eighty new trees will be planted, Kousa dogwood, Eastern redbud, downy serviceberry, sourwood, Yoshino cherry, and tulip poplar among them.’
- ‘Black gum (Nyssa sylvatica Marshall.), red maple, and sourwood (Oxydendrum arboreum (L.) DC.) occupied the subcanopy, and mountain laurel dominated the understory.’
- ‘I had gone to Hoyt to see a sourwood tree, which I was told I would find on the Wildwood Trail.’
- ‘Associated species were pignut and mockernut, hickories, black gum, red maple, sassafras, sourwood, and white ash.’
- ‘Sugar maples, red maples, dogwood, sweet gum, black gum and sourwood can be brilliant red or yellow.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.