[mass noun] Land covered with coarse vegetation, or the vegetation itself.
- ‘The distribution of sweet- and sourveld does not seem to determined by base status itself, but by the concentration of phosphorous and the size of the eady mineralizable nitrogen pool in the soil.’
- ‘On the second day participants traveled by bus through the north eastern mountain sourveld where extensive eucalyptus and pine plantations cover huge tracts of the Mpumalanga uplands.’
- ‘The sweetveld is found mainly in the eastern plains, whereas the sourveld is limited to the western regions.’
- ‘Sweetveld is palatable veld and sourveld is unpalatable veld (particularly in the winter).’
- ‘This veld type is a recent amalgamation of Acock's northeastern mountain sourveld, Piet Retief sourveld, and northeastern sandy highveld.’
Partial translation of South African Dutch zuurveld.