One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘For instance, a little sourness from lime or lemon juice in a stir-fry will emphasise saltiness and reduce the amount of salt required.’
- ‘Sweetened bitterness, such as sugared espresso, for example, satiates the appetite, while savoury sourness, such as hot-and-sour soup, can stimulate hunger and highlight texture.’
- ‘In traditional Chinese medicine, the pulp and juice of the pomelo, which taste sweet with a hint of sourness, are good for the throat, stomach and spleen.’
- ‘Earlier, astringency had been considered as one of the primary taste sensations, like sweetness, sourness, and particularly bitterness with which it has often been confused.’
- ‘It is essential to use the best-quality ingredients for this starter, as the bitterness of a good extra-virgin olive oil and the sourness of the lemon juice bring out the sweet flavour in the fennel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.