Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The analysis and study of the sources used by biblical authors.
- ‘Using the techniques of source criticism and form criticism, historical-critical scholarship analyzed biblical pericopes and looked through them to reconstruct the history of the traditions that lay behind the canonical documents.’
- ‘Since the nineteenth century, biblical criticism has been dominated by source criticism, and the Book of Leviticus is no exception.’
- ‘I learned about Pentateuchal source criticism, and the ‘synoptic problem.’’
- ‘In principle, I don't deny Pentateuchal source criticism, or the value of it.’
- ‘It would be helpful, perhaps in a future article, to look at issues such as textual and source criticism from a traditional perspective.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.