Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A sweetened liquid flavoured with lemon or lime, used in cocktails.‘a potent cocktail made with vodka, tequila, rum, gin, triple sec, sour mix, and a splash of Coke’
- ‘Snacks in silver bowls and house specialties as The Boston Ritz Fizz (blue curaçao, amaretto, sour mix and champagne) make it hard to head back out into the cold.’
- ‘His Blue Tudor - a combination of Bombay Sapphire, Cointreau, blue curaçao and a splash of sweet and sweet and sour mix - is now the bar's signature drink.’
- ‘It was a Long Island iced tea, a potent cocktail made with vodka, tequila, rum, gin, triple sec, sour mix, and a splash of Coke.’
- ‘The best selling Martini there is Bistro Blues (raspberry vodka and blue curaçao) with a splash of sour mix and Sprite and a cherry garnish.’
- ‘The signature cocktail of blue curaçao, Amaretto, champagne, and a splash of sour mix, which has been served at the bar since 1930, will soon disappear from the menu.’
- ‘For each glass, pour in one and a half ounces of base, three-fourths ounce of Cointreau, squeeze on half a fresh lime, and add a shot of sweet and sour mix.’
- ‘Laced with a heady three ounces of rum and one of Grand Marnier, topped off with sour mix and ginger ale, it is described as a "dangerous brew with wicked hangover potential".’
- ‘An English bartender worth his salt wouldn't dream of using a pre-packaged sour mix.’
- ‘It's not hard to figure out what was on my mind: Music of the Night (pineapple rum and Fruit2O with splashes of sour mix and grenadine).’
- ‘It consists of tequila, cointreau, sour mix, fresh lime and crushed ice, and comes in the obligatory salted glass.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.